Tuesday, April 28, 2009

If it's not one thing, it's another...

For the past 6 weeks it seems as if Riley has had a cough, a runny nose, a fever or some sort of rash. Just when I thought we were getting through it all I noticed one afternoon that Riley was getting some spots on the back of her thighs and in her arm pits. So weird, but I thought it was possibly just a heat rash? Or at least I hoped it was. But, shortly after that, I noticed them growing and spreading, so I made a quick call to the doctor and got us in for the next available appointment. Both of the pediatricians checked her out, ran blood work and throat cultures and once all was done they realized she has caught Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease...SERIOUSLY?!? Usually, symptoms show up on the hands, feet and mouth (duh, right?) but they said that this disease/virus affects everyone differently so it is possible for spots to be in different places. There are no treatments, creams or antibiotics and that it would fade in 7-10 days. Oh, and they also said it will get much worse before it gets better-wonderful!

I decided to take a few pictures so here's what it looked like on day one. Not terribly bad, right?
And the next morning (day two) we woke up to much bigger "spots". Honestly, my jaw dropped when I saw how big they had gotten. All I wanted to do was bathe her in Balmex or something!
As day two progressed, the "spots" ended up spreading all over her body except for her face.
By day three, the "spots" had all disappeared but she ended up with a few on her face and she had puffy circles under her eyes. She looked so pathetic =( I felt so bad for her! But, by the end of day three, it seemed like the "spots" had completely gone away and I had my normal little girl back!
Luckily, she was in great spirits 99% of the time and she didn't even realize what was going on. She's my little trooper! (and spot-free too!)
P.S. Thank you to my Mom for getting Riley to the doctor when I couldn't. She put in over a hours time waiting before I made it there and I can't thank her enough for all that she does! You are amazing Mom and I love you so much!!!!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Poor Riley! Glad she's better.

Victoria said...

aww poor Riley, what a random thing to catch! Glad she is better now